Monday, August 18, 2008

Passions at War


I love my guitar. It's sort of pathetic but when I go a day without playing it I feel like I'm missing something. For me, the guitar is like an emotion sponge that absorbs all of my highs and lows. When my fingers touch those strings I suddenly start to feel everything around me fade away. I'm not very good compared to a lot of people but it doesn't matter. I often find myself in my room blaring my acoustic through an amp and singing unwritten songs at the top of my lungs. Who knows if it sounds good... Actually we have thin walls so my family can usually hear it.. Anyways, there are so many times throughout the day, no matter where I am, that I think of song ideas or a melody or lyrics. People who know me can testify to my obnoxious singing and random interjections that are beside the point. I sing, play, write, and listen to music a lot.

But wouldn't it be so great if this post was about my Bible?

I love my Bible. I don't read it as often as I would like or even as often as I should. I sometimes go to it when I am stressed out or upset. I should yearn for this book. I should turn every page with awe at the wonders that are beheld. God's word should always be on my heart and my lips just as music sometimes tends to be. When I look up at the first paragraph I imagine what it would be like to truly be fervent and boiling for Christ. That the walls of this world could not hold the resonating sound of my love for Christ. But so many things like fear and distractions get in the way. We all have passions that are at war within us. We need to continually feed the fire that burns for Jesus. I need to continually feed the fire that burns for Jesus. Because what he did deserves our gratitude and what he does deserves our attention.

1 comment:

Christi Joy said...

ahh. yes. this post hits home.

not that playing the guitar or loving music is a sin or anything (in fact it can be really good)...but I think the apostle Paul addresses the whole "passions at war" issue when he wrote, "I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate." (Romans 7:15)
keep pressing on towards the goal,
Christi